How to link PAN with Aadhaar @ www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in link aadhaar: here are two ways through which you can link PAN and Aadhaar. These are:
- Through the Income Tax e-filing website
- Sending an SMS to 567678 or 56161
Linking PAN with Aadhaar through the e-filing website:
- Visit Income Tax Site
- Provide the PAN, Aadhaar number, and name as mentioned in the Aadhaar card
- Tick the square if only the birth year in mentioned in the Aadhaar card
- Enter the Captcha code. (Visually challenged users can request for an OTP instead of the captcha code. The OTP will be sent on the registered mobile number)
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
Linking PAN with Aadhaar by sending an SMS:
The PAN can be linked with the Aadhaar number by sending an SMS to 567678 or 56161 from the registered mobile number. In order to do so, you need to type UIDPAN<12-digit Aadhaar><10-digit PAN> and send it.
SMS ‘UIDPAN Aadhaar-number PAN-numberto 567678
Deadline for linking PAN Card with Aadhar is 31 March 2020:
The deadline for linking Permanent Account Number to your Aadhaar card has been extended again from 31 December 2019. As per the Finance Ministry, the new deadline for carrying out the linking is 31 March 2020.
PAN and Aadhaar New Rules That You Need to Know:
- The 2019 Union Budget has brought about a lot of changes with respect to PAN and Aadhaar usage. Here are some of the new rules proposed by Finance Minister, Smt Nirmala Sitharaman:
- Use of Aadhaar for transactions above Rs.50,000: Earlier, transactions greater than Rs.50,000 required the sender to quote their PAN number. Now, however, you can quote your Aadhaar number instead. Banks and all other institutions will upgrade their systems to accept Aadhaar details for transactions that previously required PAN details.
- Cash withdrawal and deposit: Your Aadhaar details can now be used to withdraw or deposit amounts greater than Rs.50,000.
- Aadhaar-PAN link: Those who file their IT returns using their Aadhaar card will be allocated a new PAN by the tax authorities.
- ITR filing with Aadhaar: Your income tax returns can now be filed with your Aadhaar even if you do not have a PAN card.
- PAN will not be terminated if it is not linked with Aadhaar: Since people now have the option of using either their PAN details or their Aadhaar details, their PAN cards will not be terminated if it isn’t linked to their Aadhaar.
- There are a few cases where these details cannot be interchangeable used though. This includes cash transactions made at hotels or for foreign travel bills (transactions need to be over Rs.50,000). Moreover, you will require PAN card details if you wish to purchase immovable property whose worth is greater than Rs.10 lakh.
FAQs for Linking Aadhaar with PAN:
- If I don’t fall into the taxable bracket, do I still have to get an Aadhaar card or have it linked to my PAN? Yes, it is advisable that you apply for an Aadhaar card and have it linked with your PAN. Aadhar is now necessary to avail most government benefits and so it is advisable to apply for it and also get it linked with PAN to ensure that your PAN is valid.
- Do NRIs residing in India have to link their PAN as well? The requirement to quote Aadhaar for filing income tax returns and for making an application for allotment of PAN with effect from July 1, 2017, does not apply to nonresident Indians [NRIs].
- Is it mandatory to create an account with the department website? No, it is not necessary to have an account with the department website. There is a direct link that is available which you can use to link your PAN and Aadhaar Card.
- I used to live in India but settled abroad. I plan on returning to India. Do I need to apply for an Aadhaar Card or am I exempt from this rule? If you plan on staying in the country for more than 6 months or 182 days, you will have to apply for an Aadhaar card when you reach India.
- How long is the OTP sent by the Aadhaar database valid for? The Aadhaar OTP is valid for a total of 15 minutes from the time it was generated. How can I change the mobile number that is registered with Aadhaar?
- You can get in touch with the UIDAI helpdesk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can contact their toll-free number which is 1800-300-1947.
- Can I de-link my Aadhaar number? No. There is no option that is available to de-link your Aadhaar number once it has been updated on the e-filing page.
- How do I make changes to an Aadhaar Number that I have filed? You can get in touch with the UIDAI helpdesk by email at email@example.com or you can contact their toll-free number which is 1800-300-1947.
- What should I do if my details as per my PAN card do not match with the ones mentioned on my Aadhaar card? If the details on your PAN card such as spelling of the name, date of birth or gender do not match the ones on your Aadhaar card, you will have to submit an application with valid proof and get the details corrected. After this, you may apply to link your Aadhaar with your PAN card.
- Do I have to submit any documentary proof to link my PAN and Aadhaar card? No, you are not required to submit any documents when linking your Aadhaar to your PAN card. You have to check if the PAN information mentioned on the website matches your Aadhaar card and then apply for them to be linked.
- What are the details I have to check when linking my PAN with my Aadhaar card? When linking your PAN with your Aadhaar card, you have to make sure that your name, date of birth and gender as displayed on the income tax website matches with the details on your Aadhaar card.
Important: Please always Check and Confirm the above details with the official website and Advertisement / Notification.